I, too, once thought Who am I to think God would have something big planned for me? But God knows the desires of our hearts. And if there’s a big dream on our hearts, it’s very possible that a Big God put it there and plans to hand it to you to remind you just how big He is.
Jesus said, “All things are possible to him who believes” (Mark 9:23) and “Embrace this God-life. Really embrace it and nothing will be too much for you” (Mark 11:22, The Message).
God wants to do through you what is beyond you. That’s how He gets the glory for amazing things you can accomplish with your life. But here’s the key: It doesn’t take an amazing person to accomplish amazing things. All it takes is faith in an amazing God who can accomplish the impossible.
If God is laying a big dream on your heart, here’s how you can recognize it and be prepared to move when God says “go.”
- Listen to your convictions -What source of injustice has burdened your heart? What do you feel so strongly about that you must respond? These convictions come from God’s Holy Spirit, and they may be God’s voice whispering (or shouting) to your heart about what is important to Him — and what He wants to be important to YOU.
- Look at the assignment – If it looks too difficult, it may be from God! Frequently when God called someone in the Old Testament (like Moses, Jeremiah, Gideon or Esther) to a Big Dream, their response was “I can’t do it.” But every time, God reminded them that He knew them better than they knew themselves, and surely He wouldn’t appoint them to something that He wouldn’t enable them to accomplish.
- Learn to go where God leads – As you begin to notice what God is doing all around you, you will be more in tune with where God is leading you. And you won’t want to miss it. Henry Blackaby, author of my favorite study, Experiencing God, encourages followers of God to look at where God is working and join Him there. How do you know where God is working? When God starts to do something out of the ordinary. For instance:
- When someone asks you about your faith. The Bible says that people, in general, are not interested in spiritual matters. So if someone’s asking questions, God is at work in her heart and bringing her to you for a divine appointment.
- When there’s a need and you feel the pressing conviction that God is wanting to get the job done through you.
- When God confirms a matter to you through His Word, through circumstances in your life, or through the advice of a trusted, Bible-believing friend.
Are you going where God is leading? Are you looking for opportunities around you that could be divine appointments? Are you seeking to be a part of the plan that your Creator has for you? If so, God is taking note of your faithfulness and He knows when you will be ready to be trusted with your Big Dream.
Take the first step toward your dream and tell me about it in the comments below. I want to be among the first to cheer you on.