Where is God When it Hurts?
“Where is God when it hurts?” “Doesn’t He care?” “Why would He let this happen?”
Those are questions I often hear from women who are in the midst of suffering. A betrayal, an illness or injury, a devastating disappointment — they can all make us feel that God has been negligent.
And I understand.
It’s easy to believe that God doesn’t care about us when we’re experiencing pain. But a closer examination of Scripture tells us that God is intimately acquainted with the events of our lives. In fact, in many situations in my life and in the lives of women I know, He is the One who has protected and comforted, in spite of the pain we have endured.
If you are believing right now that God wasn’t there or didn’t care about you (or you know someone who is feeling that way right now) consider these truths from Psalm 139:
- God intimately examines you, not to find your faults, but to know all about you (verse 1).
- He knows where you hang out, what time you get up in the morning, and what you’re thinking before the thought even comes your way. Not only are you noticed, you are constantly watched over (verse 2).
- He familiarizes Himself with everything you do. He is not only familiar with your ways of doing things, He has them memorized (verse 3).
- He knows what you’re going to say before you even say it (verse 4).
- He places hedges around you to keep you safe. In other words, God hovers over you (verse 5).
- He won’t let you wander out of His sight. He is aware of everywhere you go. And He sticks to you like glue (verses 7-12).
God is there. He is aware. And He does care. And if He’s allowed something painful in your life, He has a reason. And He promises that reason is for something eternally good that you might not see this side of heaven (Romans 8:28-29).
Think about something painful that has happened in your life and something good that you now have because of it. As you do, you may find yourself saying, “Aha. God was there. He does care. And He is still working His plan in my life.”
I would love to hear from you in the comment section below about where you found God in your painful situation …and what blessings are now yours because you have gone through that pain. And if you’re still in that place of hurt, let me know how I can pray for you and help shoulder that load.