Are You Getting What You Deserve?
I found myself saying aloud “I didn’t deserve that.”
It got me thinking about how we tend to go through life thinking about — and insisting upon — what we believe we deserve. As a woman and wife, I hear these things often, and at times, I think them myself:
I deserve health and happiness
I deserve better pay
I deserve to have a fairy tale romance like I see in the movies
I deserve respect because of my education and experience
I deserve better treatment on this job
I deserve not to be questioned when it comes to my opinion
I deserve only the best
And yet, as I go to Scripture and learn of God’s unconditional love, His unending faithfulness, and His unfathomable grace, I am reminded of the many things I have that I don’t deserve:
- A God who has pursued me while I have often run from Him (Jeremiah 31:3)
- Forgiveness of my sins before I even knew to repent of them (Psalm 103:12)
- Eternal life by trusting in Him, not in my own efforts at being good (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- A life of hope even though I can tend to face life pessimistically
- Forgiveness that is free to me, but cost God an incredible price.
Scripture says “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the father of lights, in whom there is no shifting shadow” (James 1:17).
Nearly everything I can think of that truly matters in my life (family, friendships, memories,) is a blessing from God…not something I earned or even deserve.
What do you have that you don’t deserve? I’d love for you to list it in the comment section below. Then thank Him for those things right now. And go through this day differently.